By: Bryan Guinn
What is Microsoft Teams?
Microsoft Teams is a new Office 365 Team Collaboration Experience based on chat-based workspaces that brings together people, conversations, content, and tools that teams commonly use to get their work done.
Teams is built on-top of Office 365 by using Office 365 groups as the pillar and has built-in integration with:
- Microsoft Office for content creation/sharing/viewing/editing
- SharePoint Online for file-based collaboration
- OneNote for content collaboration and storing content
- Microsoft Planner for task management
- PowerBI for data visualizations / dashboards
- Delve and the Office 365 Graph for contextual and data relevancy & Intelligence
- Skype/Skype for Business Online integration for instant messaging
- Yammer for activity
- 3rd party collaboration systems including Twitter, GitHub, and others
A hub for teamwork
Microsoft Teams brings together the full breadth and depth of Office 365 to provide a true hub for teamwork. Give your team instant access to everything they need right in Office 365.
- All your content, tools, people, and conversations are available in the team workspace
- Enjoy built-in access to SharePoint, OneNote, and Skype for Business
- Work on documents right in the app
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, OneNote, Planner, Power BI and Delve are all built into Teams so people have all the information and tools they need at their fingertips. Backed by the Microsoft Graph, intelligent services are surfaced throughout the workspace to help with information relevancy, discovery and sharing. Microsoft Teams is also built on Office 365 Groups—Microsoft’s cross-application membership service makes it easy for people to move naturally from one collaboration tool to another, preserve their sense of context and share with others.
Chat for today’s teams
Get flexible communication in the moment and keep everyone in the know. Microsoft Teams supports not only persistent but also threaded chats to keep everyone engaged. See content and chat history anytime, including team chats with Skype that are visible to the whole team. Private group chats are available for smaller group conversations. Microsoft Teams provides a modern conversation experience for today’s teams.
Customizable for each team
Tailor your Microsoft Teams workspace to include the content and features your team needs to access and use every day.
- Add tabs to provide quick access to frequently used documents and cloud services
- Explore data and take quick actions with bots
- Pull in Connectors for updates from third-party party tools and services
Because all teams are unique, Microsoft has invested deeply in ways for people to customize their workspace, with rich extensibility and open APIs available at general availability. For example, Tabs provides quick access to frequently used documents and cloud services. Microsoft Teams also shares the same Connector model as Exchange, providing notifications and updates from third-party services like Twitter or GitHub.
Security teams trust
Microsoft Teams provides the enterprise security and compliance features you expect from Office 365.
- Broad compliance standards support
- Data encryption at all times, at-rest and in-transit
- Multi-factor authentication for enhanced identity protection
Like all of Microsoft’s commercial services, it will have a transparent operational model with no standing access to customer data. Microsoft Teams will support key compliance standards including EU Model Clauses, ISO 27001, SOC 2, HIPAA and more.
Office 365 universal toolkit
Microsoft Teams joins the broadest and deepest portfolio of collaboration applications and services to help solve the diverse needs of people and organizations globally. Because, Office 365 is designed for the unique work style of every group and includes purpose-built applications, all deeply integrated together.
- SharePoint provides intranets and content management solutions to more than 200,000 organizations and 190 million people.
- Yammer is the social network for work, enabling cross-company discussions for 85 percent of the Fortune 500.
- Skype for Business provides real-time voice, video and conferencing and hosts more than 100 million meetings a month.
- Office 365 Groups is our cross-application membership service that makes it easy for people to move naturally from one collaboration tool to another.
Frequently asked questions
- Which Office 365 plans will include Microsoft Teams? Microsoft Teams is available to Office 365 commercial customers with one of the following plans: Business Essentials, Business Premium, and Enterprise E1, E3 and E5. Microsoft Teams will also be available to customers who purchased E4 prior to its retirement.
- What action do Office 365 IT admins need to take to access the preview of Microsoft Teams?To turn on Microsoft Teams, IT admins should go to their Office 365 admin center, click Settings > Services & Add Ins > Microsoft Teams.
- When will Microsoft Teams roll out broadly to all eligible Office 365 customers? Microsoft Teams is available in preview to eligible Office 365 commercial customers beginning November 2, 2016. We expect the service to become generally available in the first quarter of calendar year 2017.
- What platforms does Microsoft Teams support? Microsoft Teams runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and web platforms.
- What level of security and compliance does Microsoft Teams support? Microsoft Teams is expected to be Office 365 Tier C compliant at launch. This broad set of global compliance and data protection requirements includes ISO 27001, ISO 27018, EUMC, SOC 1 Type I & II, SOC 2 Type I and II, HIPAA and FERPA. Microsoft Teams also enforces two-factor authentication, single sign on through Active Directory and encryption of data in transit and at rest.
- What trainings are available to help Office 365 admins learn about Microsoft Teams? Microsoft has two different trainings currently available for IT admins. To view the trainings, visit the Microsoft Virtual Academy website.
**P.S. ENTRUST has over 25 years of history supporting the IT needs of companies in San Antonio. We’ve helped hundreds of organizations make IT work, make IT better, and make IT safe. How can we help you get more from your technology?